Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day One - February 12th...

The first thing to do for my Frisco Square foot garden was to get the chosen spot ready and build the wood frame.  I picked a spot that gets full on the south side of the house.  That spot will allow a raised bed that would measure 2' wide by 12' long.  There is a slope from the garage to the other side of the box that drops about 10 inces over the two foot planned width. 
I next scraped off the grass pretty well with a flat blade shovel. I then put down chicken wire to keep out varmits (I remember dad and grandpa battling gophers in their old 30ft row gardens...) I also put down weed guard and used staples to hold it all down.

During this process, I ran across a sprinkler head.  I had to dig down to the connection with PVC supply pipe and installed a piece of funny pipe and added the sprinkler head back to the pipe for the time being.  I will be installing drip irrigation later in the season.


I started working on the frame.  I was close to getting finished, but time for Valentine's Day dinner reservations seemed to show up quicker than I realized...  Had to drop it unless I wanted to reconfigure the lumber into the shap of a doghouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment