Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rock me Amadeus...

A titular tribute to Falco...  I couldn't resist and another "Driving the shovel" title would have been too much.  Today was major work on the French drain project.   I bought a bit over 3000lb of rock from the local rock  yard to start the day.  Since I am truckless, I rented the Lowe's truck.  Since the rate was hourly, step one was shovel all the rocks off the truck and onto the driveway.  It took about an hour to move them all and to clean the bed up of all the dust and "rockettes".  First flaw in the plan...  I needed a tool to move the rocks to the yard.  I don't have space for a big wheel barrow, so I picked up what  I have come to call "El burro piquito" - the little donkey.  It is technically a yard cart with a 3 cu ft capacity.  I didn't fill it up because I was worried that it would break.  I felt like Sancho Panza from the novel Don Quixote pushing this little cart  around that was barely adequate to the  task.

Anyway, I set the drainage bed and then started putting pipes together.  I then put more rocks over the top of the pipe and began to back fill the "dirt"  I put that in quotes because most of the dirt is nothing more than hardened clay now.   I bet I could make bricks out of it!  So here are few more pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment